Saturday, May 2, 2009

Roast Beef and Thy

On Friday night I had the good fortune to be invited for some proper Cambodian food and beers by Mr Thy and Mr Thea which I was excited about.

Although Siem Reap is very nice and has lots of nice bars/restaurants etc, the reality is that the majority of the tourist ones are not often frequented by Cambodians as they are usually prohibitively expensive... a fact that does leave a bad taste in the mouth after a while...

So I was glad to take Mr Thy up his offer (also, they are both close to my age so although I am making them sound old they aren't!).

We went to a Cambodian place not far from the centre of town which was really busy, not a westerner in sight! The speciality is Roast Beef which was delish, they eat it with a small dish of sauce which is apparently some kind of old fish cold porridge?! An acquired taste perhaps, but it was quite nice... you dip the meat and a selection of vegetables into the sauce and that's that! Was nice to have a change from rice and noodles. We also had a pitcher of cold beer the whole time which was good, and even better was the price of $8 for the whole lot - for Siem Reap this is cheap, and it wouldn't surprise me if we had still been charged extra due to my presence.. who knows.

I also met Thea's wife who seemed very nice.

Sadly I didn't take any photos but I'm hoping to venture back before I leave. Alex- get ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment