Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Floating village on Tonle Sap








After my visit to the temple of Beng Melea we drove for about another hour south, this time to Lake Tonle Sap (a huge lake which goes all the way to Phnomh Penh, 5 hours drive away)... Because it is at the very end of the dry season the water levels are really low. All the houses nearby are raised up about 12 feet in the air on stilts, and after the rainy season will only be accessible by boat. Very strange indeed. As well as this there is an actual floating village which I got a boat out to, populated bizarrely by the Vietnamese. When I asked Mr Tee why it was Vietnamese people living there he said Í have no idea!' Fair enough. Still, it was interesting enough to see and has perhaps put me off my fantasy about living on a house boat one day....

No comments:

Post a Comment