Monday, April 13, 2009

Kuala Lumpur Part 2: the twilight zone










Due to jet lag I had some bizarre sleeping and waking patterns during the three days in KL meaning that I unfortunately ended up napping in the afternoon and promptly being awake most of the night. Having previously scoffed at people complaining about jet lag I feel suitably put in my place, not sure why I had it so bad when I haven't in the past, perhaps because I am on my own and have had no will power to stay awake... my first day I spent navigating the monorail and walking through Little India and Chinatown, and the old town parts of KL. After a weird sleeping waking episode and having been up since 1am the following day I decided to “seize the day”, and left my room at 7am (when dawn breaks)and walked to Chinatown, about half an hour away. The sun was shining, it was already roasting, and joining the commuters was actually quite interesting (christ someone punch me for just saying that). Wandering about Chinatown at this time is fascinating, you are just starting to see people wandering about, stalls opening up. I was searching for somewhere to have dim sum having had a delicious and truly memorable steamy dim sum meal upon my arrival in KL five years ago... which sadly remains elusive. I did however enjoy my breakfast of beef noodle soup at the Li Foong restaurant almost just as much.

Kl is a nice city, everyone is very friendly and it feels very safe to wander about. I didn't even find crossing the roads too difficult! It has been the perfect place to start my trip and spend a few days getting over jet lag (supposedly!). When I got tired of pounding the hot, dusty streets I could step inside one of the many huge shopping malls where people seem to spend a lot of their time soaking up various americana...all in all my brief time I had there I had a really good time, albeit slightly weird due to my mental state. Equator Hostel was perfect, the staff were extremely friendly, would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to stay outside the usual hotspot of china town...



No comments:

Post a Comment