Monday, April 13, 2009

Siem Reap:never assume things will go to plan

















As alluded to earlier, part of the reason I am making this trip east is to visit various charity projects that MSAVLC supports. First on my list is “Helping Hands Cambodia” a small community aid project which helps several villages outside of Siem Reap, neighbouring Angkor Wat. The charity was founded by an Australian Photographer named Deborah Groves in 2005 and to date has succeeded in various projects such as building bridges and roads, a school and community centre, a “work for bike” programme, and a breakfast programme- to name just a few. MSAVLC began funding Helping Hands last year and having previously met Deborah in London I was keen to come out and be of assistance. Therefore I had decided to spend a month volunteering to teach English at the school. When I was in KL I received an email from Deborah stating that unfortunately she has had to return to Australia for a while for personal reasons and that the week I arrive is actually the beginning of the Cambodian new year, a holiday which lasts for a week which means the school would actually be shut! So, as it turned out I arrived in Siem Reap not knowing exactly what to make of things. Chanty, the Cambodian Director, is also away on holiday this week.

Needless to say when I arrived I was feeling a bit confused and uncertain about how best to spend my time here and who, what when etc...

Fortunately I have settled in fine. Siem Reap is a hot, bustling dusty place but it is full of life and plenty of things to keep a Westerner with time on her hands busy... I have found myself a small guest house near enough the main part of town to be within walking distance but also quiet and opposite the river. It's also adjacent to a small school (possible orphanage?) so the sound of kids shrieking and playing wakes me up nice and early, but it's actually oddly quite nice! Plus about 2 mins away there is a bigger fancier hotel with a delightful rooftop swimming pool where I can come and spend the afternoon swimming (for a small price of course!) which is pretty much deserted... and therefore bliss! I guess everyone is out at the temples!! Which I will get round to.. but hey..plenty of time yet!

1 comment:

  1. I want a roof top swimming pool!!! I do! I do! its grey here, grrrr

    ReplyDelete